b-hebrew - Re: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:46:19 +0200

Gen 11:31 NPL version:
> Terach takes his family, all of them

All of them except Nahor, which is not convenient for the
southern Ur theory since then you
have to account for how Nahor's family mysteriously got up
from the Persian Gulf to near Haran (Gen 24:10; 29:4-5).

Note also both a KE&ED (with a SIN, like kasdim) and 'ARAM
listed among Nahor's descendants (Gen 22:21-22).

Ian wrote:
> Let's put it this way: we *know* that there was at least one Ur Kasdim and
> that was the southern Mesopotamian city

Let's put it this way - there is no evidence that anyone
before about a hundred years ago called the southern
mesoptamian Ur "Ur-kasdim." That's not its name

Regards,

John Ronning