b-hebrew - RE: Re[2]: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'Stephen C. Carlson'" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:28:14 +0100

Tracing ghost here?

Try to look at the passage Gen 11:27-32, in the Hebrew text. Land of birth
of Abraham and his family: Ur kasdim (Gen 11:27). Haran dies there, but
Haran is not the city of Harran (written with a cheth, not a he like the
deceased son of Terach). Then Gen 11:28: Terach takes his family, all of
them, in order to move to the land of Canaan. In Gen 11:30 he reaches as far
as ('ad-) Harran, and settles there and dies there. What is meant by the
sentence, wayyabo'u 'ad charran? That he went from one city to the next, or
that he reached as far as ... before he settled down?

On the other hand, what use of this, in the following session Abram moves
out of Harran with his belongings in 12:5 to get to the Land of Canaan, and
in the next sentence he enters Canaan. Not a word about the travel, he goes
out and he moves in. Distance is not the concern of the author.

The question is, then, is the author rally interested in geography. Can we
create a geography of, say Northern Mesopotamia on the basis of information
like this. Is the point of the narrative not to bring the herp from one
place to another place, ignoring the immaterial matters of a real travel?

NPL