b-hebrew - Re: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:48:25 -0500

At 03:19 AM 1/20/00 +0100, you wrote:

>But I say further that Ur and Harran are far apart, otherwise the
>expectations of the narrative are not met. One travelling a long way will
>stop a good stretch of the way to the ultimate destination, but if your Ur
>were in the neighbourhood of Harran then the narrative in this part would
>have little sense.

interestingly enough (or not) the current issue of BAR (which arrived today)
has an article on the Ur of Abraham- the famous one or the northern one...
listers may want to take a gander at it.

Personally i think the northern location is more likely simply because the
tradition knows the putative abraham as an aramean. geographically this
just fits better.

but... as the whole tradition is a legend- it hardly matters to me whether
the location is north or south just as it matters precious little as to
where Job lived...

best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD