b-hebrew - Re: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:34:36 +0200

Peter Kirk wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't want to repeat my whole argument, but no doubt it has
> been forgotten. The point is simply that it would be rather ridiculous
> to pack up one's belongings and set out for distant Canaan only to
> abandon one's journey at the next town, but not go back home. So it
> doesn't make sense if Ur is near to Haran. Now I would accept that Ur
> might have been 100 miles of so east of Haran in the Khabur valley but
> still in northern Mesopotamia, and that would be a sensible scenario.
> But where exactly are these alleged alternative Ur's?

That's the problem, Peter. The other 3 Urs mentioned in RGTC are of unknown
provenance.
If their location were known, perhaps it would clinch the argument one way or
another.
But then someone could always claim, "No, it's not this Ur but that Ur!" And
so on ad
infinitum.

Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies