b-hebrew - Re[4]: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: SV: Gilgamesh (Jonathan)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:21:37 -0500

Sorry, I didn't want to repeat my whole argument, but no doubt it has
been forgotten. The point is simply that it would be rather ridiculous
to pack up one's belongings and set out for distant Canaan only to
abandon one's journey at the next town, but not go back home. So it
doesn't make sense if Ur is near to Haran. Now I would accept that Ur
might have been 100 miles of so east of Haran in the Khabur valley but
still in northern Mesopotamia, and that would be a sensible scenario.
But where exactly are these alleged alternative Ur's?

Peter Kirk