b-hebrew - Re: "Post-Exilic" Genesis (long)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "Post-Exilic" Genesis (long)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:29:24 -0500

Dear Walter,

There is a very simple answer to almost all of your arguments here:
they are simply arguments from silence.

I notice that in your quote Redford speaks of a "post-Exilic editor".
So is it really true that "he concluded... that Genesis was written in
the Post-Exilic period"? Apparently not; he is not supporting your
position that "Genesis is a Post-Exilic creation". I find Redford's
position, limited post-exilic editing, much more plausible than yours
- although I wonder why the editing could not rather be in late
pre-exilic times.

Peter Kirk