b-hebrew - Re[6]: More ?'s about verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: More ?'s about verbs
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:59:04 -0500

You wrote: "In any case, we know that wayyiqtol can be used in
narrative, to begin an episode, to begin a book, to resume after an
aside, to open a change of setting or situation, and that's just to
name a few." Agreed. And it can ALSO be used as a continuation, as in
the verse from 1 Kings. Your unified field of meaning is a fine goal,
but it has to account for these continuation cases as well.

Note my ALSO, which makes irrelevant your argument that "there are
plenty of instances where it can't possibly be a continuation" - which
I agree with. However, you seem to be arguing from "it is not always a
continuation" to "it is never a continuation", which is logically
false. In fact it is clear that WAYYIQTOL signals neither continuation
nor lack of continuation, but something different. So, in a
translation, sometimes a period or a paragraph break is appropriate,
but very often no punctuation is required. Just look at your
translation of the verse about Shimei. Why did you put in all those
periods? Because the sense demanded it? Because you were translating
for a 3-year-old? Or because of your preconceptions about the meaning
of WAYYIQTOL? Now you may want to define each WAYYIQTOL as a new
sentence within the structure of Hebrew. But my point is that it does
not always correspond to a new sentence in good English.

Peter Kirk