b-hebrew - Re: More ?'s about verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Galia Hatav <ghatav AT aall.ufl.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: More ?'s about verbs
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:43:15 +0100

Dear Rolf Furuli,

You wrote:

>While I am sceptical about the claim that the definite article was
>incorporated into a verb form, I am open for arguments.

I am sceptical, too, as it goes against any analysis of nounn
phrases (traditional, Chomskian or otherwise), but unless there is evidence
against it, thinking of a definite article as preceding a verb is not
impossible.

If you have written
>anything about it, I will be happy to consider it.

I am planning to write an article this coming May (when we are done
with the Spring Semester). I would be real happy if agreed to read the ms.
and gave me your comments.

Allow me, however, to
>express my present views reagarding this question.

>As a matter of fact, there is no indication that the WAW prefixed to
>YIQTOLs is anything but a conjunction before the Masoretes pointed the
>text. It is also quite clear that the Masoretes wanted to distinguish
>between WAYYIQTOL and WEYIQTOL,but the question is: What was the basis for
>this distinction? Let us look at example (1):
>
>(1) 2Kings 9:17 In Jezreel, the sentinel standing on the tower spied the
>company of Jehu arriving, and said (WAYYIQTOL), "I see a company." Joram
>said, "Take a horseman; send him to meet them, and let him say (WEYIQTOL),
>'Is it peace?'"
>
>When we consider this example, we should keep in mind that although we
>speak about an -AY- element in WAYYIQTOL, this is only descriptive. There
>is of course no such element existent, but the characteristic is
>*gemination* in 3. person forms and *compensatory lengthening* in 1 person.
>singualar.

The desriptive part is that there is a vowel (patah) for <w> and
there is a dagesh geminating the prefix of <yiqtol>. In the case of first
person singular instead of short patah followed by dagesh we have a long
qamatz. Now comes the question of "why?". meaning the explanation part.
Following the traditional exlanation, I see the patah followed by a dagesh
and the parallel qamatz when a dagesh is impossible, as representing the
same morpheme. I called that morpheme <AY>, but it could be labelled
differently, e.g., <a:>. The point is that there is a morpheme anchoring
the situation to the actual world. What kind of morpheme is it,
phonologically speaking, is still to be determined. Consulting with a
phonologist it was suggested to me that it is a mora.

It is generally accepted that the Masoretes pointed their text
>on the basis of the recitation they heard in the synagogue, and that they
>were extremely careful not to add anything to the consonant text (and
>probably not to what they heard as well).
>
>Therefore, what did the Masoretes hear in the Synagogue? Evidence from
>Josephus and Origen, and from the Masoretes themselves suggest that shewa
>was generally pronounced by an "a"-sound just as patah, but shewa could
>also be colored by other vowels. If the intention was to distinguish
>between two different conjugations (WAYYIQTOL and WEYIQTOL) by help of the
>vocalization, shewa versus patah were the worst possible choice, because of
>their similarity. We therefore do not have any indication that the timbre
>of shewa and patah in the two verbs of (1) was different.

There are different theses of how the vowels were prononounced (as
well as the consonants). I am trying to analyze the text as I see it, no
matter how the words were actually pronounced.

There is,
>however, one factor that would distinguish the two, namely stress. If now
>the Masoretes heard the two verbs being stressed differently, how would
>that affect vocalization?
>
>The WEYIQTOL has two open syllables and the last is closed. It has the
>normal ultimate stress, and because the closed syllable is stressed, the
>short patah is OK. The WAYYIQTOL, however, has penultimate stress, and this
>would, according to the phonetic laws, demand a different vocalization.
>Because of the stress, we either would have expected a pretonic qamets in
>the first syllable or a patah together with gemination; a shewa in a
>supposed open first open syllable before the stress, would not be expected.
>This means, as far as I can see, that a combination of the hearing of
>penultimate stress in the synagogue, and the phonetic laws applied by the
>Masoretes (I leave alone those verbs that can be apocopated), can account
>for all the differences between WAYYOMER and W:YOMAR in (1). If this is
>true, there need not be an extra element in addition to WAW in any of the
>WAYYIQTOLs with stable roots.

So the stress makes a difference, semantically speaking? If this
is, indeed the case, then the morpheme <AY> would be the stress. (But I
feel more comfortable with the explanantion of Dave Washburn that the
stress is not phonematic in the case of <wayyiqtol>.)