b-hebrew - Re: SV: Evidence for pre-exilic Pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SV: Evidence for pre-exilic Pentateuch
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:43:42 -0500

Dear Thomas,

My apologies, I did not intend to imply that this was a shared
conclusion. I should have written "my conclusion", rather than "the
conclusion".

In this context, I am using "pre-exilic" in the widely accepted
conventional sense of before the deportations of 597 and 587 BCE. But
of course I should not use the abbreviation "BCE" because the
Christian era must have started before the death of Herod in 4 BCE. On
the other hand, there are conventions.

I wonder if you can point me to any other examples of two separate
religious groups accepting the same holy books, except for cases where
they have inherited this acceptance from a time when the groups were
united. If not, your argument depends on a historically unique
situation in which always separate, or long separate, Judean and
Samaritan sects accepted as holy and definitive the same corpus of
newly written literature. To me, it would be highly surprising for one
sect to accept such a set of newly written literature with an
artificial history, and nothing short of miraculous for two warring
sects to independently accept the same set of literature! And I
remember what your colleague NPL had to say about historical
explanations relying on miracles.

My feeling is that you would be on much safer ground to argue that
there was a period of reconciliation and something close to unity
between Judea and Samaria at some stage after the division attested in
the Elephantine documents but before the start of the Christian era.

Peter Kirk