b-hebrew - Re[2]: More ?'s about verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: More ?'s about verbs
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:04:49 -0500

I agree that this example is one of many difficult to interpret on a
strictly sequential view of WAYYIQTOL, and so I no longer hold to that
view. My point here was that it is simply wrong to think of each
WAYYIQTOL as in some way a new beginning. Your suggested translation,
while not wrong in point of fact, is at the level of a 3-year-old's
picture book. No, Hebrew used other devices, not the ubiquitous (in
narrative) WAYYIQTOL, to start new stories or new sections of stories,
or to pick up after digressions.

Of course I don't claim that this verse exhausts the possibilities for
WAYYIQTOL. But can you show me cases where WAYYIQTOL alone signifies a
major break? I doubt it, because it can and very often does (as here)
signify no break at all, and so there would be no way to distinguish a
major break from no break at all.

Peter Kirk