b-hebrew - Re: More ?'s about verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: More ?'s about verbs
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:14:02 -0700

Rodney,
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> A few questions and trial balloons for the experts, not theories that I
> am trying to argue:
>
> 1) Regarding the discussion about the function of wayyiqtol in terms of
> sequentiality (or non-sequentiality), that is the thesis that it
> possibly does not connect backwards but begins a new reference time, and
> still may be used in a narrative sequence:
>
> I wonder if the conjunction functions like the English phrase “now
> then.” It seems to me that in English people use “now then” to start a
> new story, to pick up after some digression in a story, and even to list
> a series of events.

Perhaps. I don't think it's a conjunction at all, or at least if it is it
has nothing in common with the simple conjunction beyond graphic
consonantal representation. I see it as a distinct morpheme that
signals a syntactic break, and such a syntactic break can and
does perform all the functions you mentioned.

> 2) What then, if the conjunction found with wayyiqtol is some kind of
> narrative conjunction that is distinct from the conjunction of simple
> waw? Is there any comparative philological evidence that might support
> such a thesis? (I've seen a little about the Arabic “fa,” but don't
> know how much weight it carries.)

To my knowledge there is no true parallel to the wayyiqtol in any
other semitic language. Moabite may have used it, but the
language of the stone seems (to me and some others I have
discussed it with) heavily influenced by Hebrew in some way.
Comparative semitics isn't exactly my field...

> Is it possible that yiqtol is modal (ala Hatav) and that we have two
> conjunctions:
> Waw + yiqtol -> weyiqtol and remains modal
> Waw + “definite marker” (perhaps ha) + yiqtol -> wayyiqtol and now
> becomes non-modal and is used in past narration?

Except for the "past narration" distinction, this is essentially my
approach.

[snip - I can't help with questions 3 and 4]

> Thanks for any input. I sure wish one of you experts would figure out
> the Hebrew verbal system conclusively.

So do we!

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur