b-hebrew - Re: b(l xmh in Nahum 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "clayton stirling bartholomew" <c.s.bartholomew AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Hebrew >" <Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: b(l xmh in Nahum 1:2
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 19:46:24 -0800

Ben, Peter, Jim

Thanks for your work on this question. I am keeping your posts around to
look at again.

I have been working in the Psalms for some time so I am perhaps
suffering from parallel-o-mania. Also after several months of Cosmic
Combat stuff you start to see B(L and YM popping up everywhere even
where they don't belong.

I admit that an agenda free lexical analysis would not lead to a
discovery of any allusions to Canaanite myths in Nahum 1:2 but perhaps
the mention of YHWH's attack on YM and NHR in Nahum 1:4 led me to
suspect an appearance of B(L somewhere in the same context.

>From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)

> The context indicates earthly combat. Nahum is announcing that Nineveh
> (pars pro toto, Assyria as a whole) will be punished for exceeding her
> mandate to punish the northern kingdom of Israel . . .

Ben,

I agree with you that we have here a reference to historical combat. But
the presence of historical combat does not rule out an allusion to
cosmic combat. The two can and often are combined in the same context
(e.g. Ex. 15).

On the B(L myth in Nahum 1:2-6 see particularly Robert B. Chisholm, Jr.
"Interperting The Minor Prophets," Grand Rapids 1990, Page 168ff. I
don't know much about Chisholm, just found his book at the library and
brought it home to look at.

Thanks again,

Clay

--