b-hebrew - Re: b(l xmh in Nahum 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: c.s.bartholomew AT worldnet.att.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: b(l xmh in Nahum 1:2
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 23:15:06 +0000

On Sun 2 Jan 2000 (19:46:24), c.s.bartholomew AT worldnet.att.net wrote:
> I agree with you that we have here a reference to historical combat.
> But the presence of historical combat does not rule out an allusion to
> cosmic combat. The two can and often are combined in the same context
> (e.g. Ex. 15).
>
> On the B(L myth in Nahum 1:2-6 see particularly Robert B. Chisholm, Jr.
> "Interperting The Minor Prophets," Grand Rapids 1990, Page 168ff. I
> don't know much about Chisholm, just found his book at the library and
> brought it home to look at.

Clay:

Thanks for the personalised response. I don't have RB Chisholm to hand,
but I do like Mike Butterworth's translation 'The LORD is jealous and
avenging, avenging and *a lord of wrath*, taking vengeance on his
adversaries, keeping [it] with respect to his enemies'. I notice that
this is also the rendering preferred by EB Pusey, Oxford, as long ago as
1860 (a lord of Wrath). YHWH is Ba`aL here; not some other petty b(l.

'Lord of wrath' interprets the Construct relationship better than my
attempt '[YHWH] full-of fury'. We need to remember that YHWH is not only
the God of Love CeSeD; he is also the lord of Wrath. "To me belongeth
vengeance and recompense" (Deuteronomy 32:35). But as Nahum rightly
insists, "The LORD [is] slow to anger..." (verse 3). He waited until
after the mission of Jonah, and then some, before acting. But Jealousy
is a virtue in its proper sense; the God of Love will be properly
jealous for His people whom he loves. This means taking vengeance against
those who assault and abuse his beloved.

Even though God authorised the destruction of Samaria and northern Israel
by Assyria, he did not authorise the excessively brutal methods employed by
the Assyrian armies. All the commentators agree that Sennacherib is the
"wicked counsellor" of verse 11. His invasion is recorded three times: in
2 Kings 18-19; 2 Chronicles 32; and Isaiah 36-37. He sent the Rabshakeh to
threaten Hezekiah in Jerusalem; and that is where we see the spiritual
dimension. All the Rabshakeh's rhetoric was against YHWH the God of Judah.
Hezekiah resorted to prayer to YHWH in His Temple about this; and Isaiah
gave him the answer from the LORD. 2 Kings 19:35-37 tells how YHWH destroyed
the Assyrian army, and how Sennacherib met his death whilst worshipping the
idol Nisroch. So yes! there is a spiritual dimension indeed. YHWH is LORD
of all the earth, not just of Judah only: and all the gods of the nations
are but idols, whether carved (wood) or cast (metal), Nahum 1:14.

Verse 12 reads 'iM-$:LeMiYM W:KeN RaBBiYM "even though they be quiet and
likewise many". This was long taken for a corruption in the text (even the
LXX fudges it), until excavations in Nineveh showed that this is an Assyrian
legal formula indicating joint and several responsibility in law for carrying
out a contract. YHWH through Nahum quotes their own legal formula against
them. Does Chisholm mention this, Clay? I can't track down where I read
it...

Shalom,
Ben
--