b-hebrew - Re[10]: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[10]: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:09:48 -0500

Dear gfsomsel,

Thank you for sharing your opinions and your background.

I accept that there is a logical difficulty in proving a supernatural
event. By its very nature it cannot be proved by the methods of
natural sciences. Also its supernatural character cannot be proved in
that we cannot be sure that it will never be explainable by future
natural science. But it is possible in principle to demonstrate using
historical methods that an event has taken place which cannot be
explained by current natural science. As an example, take the
resurrection of Jesus. Given your background, I am sure that you are
aware of many writings which seek to prove that the only rational
explanation of the records is that Jesus really did rise from the
dead. The point is not whether you personally find these arguments
convincing, but whether such arguments could in principle be
successful. Is it necessary to rule out their success a priori? I
don't think so. Of course their personal acceptability will depend on
the reader's presuppositions.

Peter Kirk