b-hebrew - Re: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Alviero Niccacci <sbfnet AT netvision.net.il>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:40:25 +0200

Dear list-members,

A long and learned discussion is going on concerning the Documentary Hypothesis and the literary status of some Biblical narratives. I would again point out the importance of a correct reading of the texts from a grammatical and syntactical perspective.
Despite the fact that strong disagreemnt reigns among us about the BH verbal system, I will try to make my point as clear as possible.

1) As was repeatedly mentioned by different contributors, doublets are one the main arguments of the DocHyp. Another are presumed disruptions in the flow of the narrative, harshness, if not errors, in grammar and syntax, and so on. The problem is of course how much we understand BH and the way ancient narrative style proceedes.

I have tested my understanding of the BH verb system in the analysis of the Flood narrative (Gen 6:9-8:22), which is a corner stone of the DocHyp. The essay was published in the annual of my Institution _Liber Annuus_ 44 (1994) 9-46 (in Italian; in English its title reads: *Flood, Syntax and Method*; an English abstract is found at the end of the volume).

Specifically, I have tried to show that in Gen 7:6-8:5, which is the most repetitious and controverted passage of the whole narrative, we find an alternation of verbal sentences (with narrative wayyiqtol) and nonverbal sentences (among which I include x-qatal in historical narrative). The verbal sentences push forward the mainline of the narrative while the nonverbal sentences convey different specifications to the historical information conveyed by narrative wayyiqtol.
At the beginning of a text, the nonverbal sentences convey antecedent information, or setting of the story, while in the course of the narrative they convey background specifications related to a previous narrative wayyiqtol.
If we designate with SE the setting sentences, with NA the narrative wayyiqtol and with SPE the background spefifications (with non-wayyiqtol sentences), we get the following picture (for a complete description see pages 36 ff. of _Liber Annuus_ 1994):

SE Gen 7:6; NA 7:7; SPE 7:8-9; NA 7:10; SPE 7:11; NA 7:12; SPE 7:13-14; NA 7:15; SPE 7:16a; NA 7:16b-18; SPE 7:19-20; NA 7:21; SPE 7:22; NA 7: 23a; SPE 7:23b; NA 7:23c-8:4; SPE 8:5; NA 8:6, etc.

It seems that alternating between NA and SPE is a characteritic of that narrative throughout.
A question then arises, Are these repetitions, or doublets in the literary-critic sense? Indeed they are repetitions; however these repetitions are conveyed with a different verbform (and also with variant expressions that need to be interpreted). If , as I believe, the different verforms play different functions in the narrative, the answer to the above question is no. They are not real repetitions, or doublets.

From this fact one should not draw a quick refusal of the DocHyp. We should rather keep the literary texture of the narrative distinct from possible, older sources (or traditions) that may have been used by the author of the final text. Indeed, I believe that we are entitled to speak of an AUTHOR who wrote a coherent and meningful narrative. If this is correct, the DocHyp needs refine its criteria and try to better evaluate the text as a coherent unit, and used these findings as a controlling factor.

BTW, the presumed chronological inconsistencies of the text have been interpreted by traditional Jewish exegetes both ancient and modern (see, e.g. U. Cassuto) in the framework of a complete solar year (i.e. a lunar year plus 11 additional days). Also a few modern authors warn from a quick dismissal of the chronological indications of the text.

2) I also have treated another major text scrutinized by the DocHyp, i.e. Exod 19-24, along similar lines. A complete analysis of these chapters is found in Ellen van Wolde (ed.), _Narrative Syntax & the Hebrew Bible, etc._ Brill 1997, 203-228 (in English).

Peace and all good.

Alviero Niccacci

Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Tel. +972 - 2 - 6282 936
POB 19424 - 91193 - Jerusalem Fax +972 - 2 - 6264 519
Israel
Home Page: http://198.62.75.1/www1/ofm/sbf/SBFmain.html
Email mailto:sbfnet AT netvision.net.il