b-hebrew - RE: SV: Re[12]: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: SV: Re[12]: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:44:12 +0100

I will continue this theme as long as necessary. I have been in this game
for more than 30 years, I know the rules and my colleagues know them as well
wherever they live in the world of the academia. I also know that at the
fringe, some institutions that may consider themselves academic ones,
entertain ideas that are foreign to scholarship. Scholarship is not decided
by a majority vote and although several contributors to this line of
argument seem to think that what is not accepted by people who is running
the game can be accepted nevertheless, they will never counts as serious or
major figures in this business. I think that such people should address
scholars of a certain standard within other fields and see how they react,
when somebody is invoking supernaturalistic phenomena, are continuously
disregarding more than two hundred years of scholarship without presenting
any serious arguments against it (although such arguments are easy to find).
Maybe people of my group is simply waisting our time on such discussions but
it is necessary in order that the field shall survive as an academic
discipline. But I certainly do understand why so few of the top people are
active on the lists and may find thmselves in a foreugn if not hostile
world.

By the way, Peter Kirk's football player is according to the standards of
the world outside the US not football players, since they most of the time
use their hands. A football player is except in the USA what is there
derogatory caller a 'soccer player'. Pele was a football player, Monotano a
quarterback in American football.

NPL