b-hebrew - Re[6]: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:21:02 +0100

Well, the toldots are not meant to explain doublets, with the exception of
the apparent
doublet between Gen 1 and 2, which is really not a doublet, if you ask me.
The toldots
are evidences which can be interpreted as sources, and (some of the) doublets
are
evidences that can be interpreted as sources. I am not trying to use one to
explain the
other. Also, the toldot are not meant to be an explanation of all of the
features of
Genesis. I don't see how calling each toldot a separate source would be
difficult to
divide up for a DHer. There is still room to look into the histories of the
individual toldot
accounts, whether they be oral compilations, whether they be themselves
redacted
before reaching Moses (or whoever), or whether Moses (or whoever) altered them
when compiling them.

Basically, the only evidence that you have given for Genesis being a single
composition is that it is unlikely that Moses would have had written records.
Why do
you see this as unlikely?

Also, what do you do with the use of the word sepher in Gen 5:1?

Thanks for clarifying your personal position. I also have no axe to grind for
Genesis
being a composite of sources. And I am becoming aware of treatment received
for not
bowing before the "scholarship cannot involve God" mindset here. (Imagine what
Thomas Aquinas - or heaven forbid, Anselm - would have had to say about that!)

Jonathan Bailey
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien
Heidelberg