b-hebrew - RE: Re[6]: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[6]: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:21:37 +0100

Dear Jonathan Bailey,

Scholarship is not a free for all. You are simply introducing to the field
in a veruy outspoken way--and I am grateful because you make it in the
open--elements that have nothing to do with a scholarly discourse. With your
basis in Germany, you must know the implications of Kant's categories and
the irrelevance of religious sentiments, notions based on such sentiments,
the place of the supranatural in science etc. etc. Probably you do not
understand this, but if this is the case, you have chosen the wrong subject.
In a scholarly discourse, anything that relates to the supranatural must be
left out of consideration. And I do not care whether or not you will agree,
but I would fail and probably any scholar worth his or her salt would do the
same if a student here wrote a thesis and included such ideas as the ones
you have been advocating in this mail and other similar answers to this
list. Try to get focused on the subject of scholarship. I do not want to be
more rude than necessary but a scolarly discussion belongs to a scholarly
list and a discussion about personal religious sentiments and convictions
belong in a religious list where such subjects are discussed.

NPL