b-hebrew - RE: Re[4]: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[4]: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 00:20:40 +0100

Jonathan Bailey
> After all, since we are talking about the word of God here, we might want
> to allow for
> the possibility that it actually is the word of God, which would merit it
> a little
> uniqueness in terms of its history.

[Niels Peter Lemche] In 1998, an Iman gave a lecture to me and my
students in Damascus. One of his points was interesting. A commity of
liberal Muslim theologians had worked for years on the text of the Qur'an in
order to see whether it was the work of man or of God. Great surprise, they
had to conclude that such a text could not have been written by any man, so
it must be God who was the author. I repeat my earlier remark that this idea
about inspiration belongs in a different context.

NPL