b-hebrew - Re: JEDP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Noel O'Riordan" <nor AT iol.ie>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JEDP
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:25:19 -0000

Hello Peter

This is a rather simplistic explanation, the fact that the texts are in the
one document is not the equivalent to one author, if they are by one author
then he must have been a schizophrenic. You may at best postulate one
compiler, you cannot discount the last 100 years because in some circles it
is not in vogue. the documentary hypothesis is in need of re-evaluation but
the answer does not lie in one author.

As for providing proof, the proof I suggest lies with the non-documentarians
to account for the (for want of a better word) sources of the Pentateuch if
they do not agree with the idea of at least 3 sources (JDP)

The documentary hypothesis still, (although in modified form, the best of
which I can not decide on) provides the best answers.

best regards

Noel O Riordan