b-hebrew - Re[2]: Perfectivity of wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Perfectivity of wayyiqtol
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:18:40 -0400

Thanks for the gynecological details. So your interpretation is
possible, though not necessary. But we don't know the meaning of the
TQ$ BELIDTAH apart from these verses. Perhaps this collocation is an
idiom in the class of "he answered and said" with two wayyiqtols,
which is not consecutive, but I don't think anyone would want to
analyse "answered" as imperfective and setting up a time frame for
"said".

Peter Kirk