b-hebrew - Re[2]: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:38:23 -0400

This is an interesting idea in view of the modern opinions that the
idea of the virgin birth (clearly attested in Luke as well as Matthew)
came from the early Christians' reading of LXX. If this idea was not
in the LXX which they read, this would strengthen the argument that
Matthew and Luke were reporting actual events. Now I don't want to get
into Christian theology on this list, but here it does interact with a
Hebrew textual issue. Where did the idea of the virgin birth come from
if not from LXX?

Peter Kirk