b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: Jewish Revisionism and Attempted Corruptions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: Jewish Revisionism and Attempted Corruptions
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:51:50 +0200

Dear Peter,

I don't really understand the point of your post. I did not enter into the
debate based on the conclusion-driven notion that "the MT is a deliberate
corruption from the Christian era". The notion that there was a totally
delineated MT version at the time of the DSS is as erroneous as that there
was a totally delineated LXX version. The tendency in the DSS seems to
support a stronger movement toward the MT.

At 09.16 28/10/99 -0400, peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:
>It seems very odd that some people can say that two texts (MT Is and
>1QIsA) are almost identical and another that they are in different
>languages!

Dialects. Consider: some verb suffixes, some person pronouns... Qimron
mentions nouns that are found in the Tiberian tradition as qi+l or qa+l are
qu+l in QH. More frequent use of a feminine plural -wt on masculine nouns.
I've just skimmed a few examples.

Cheers,

Ian