b-hebrew - Re: Perfectivity of wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Perfectivity of wayyiqtol
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:44:54 -0400

This is an interesting test and one which has the possibility of
helping to understand wayyiqtol better. But I wonder how we can be
sure of the "uncontroversial" nature of any examples. For example,
suppose someone found a (hypothetical) parallel to Gen 38:28 in which
a wayyiqtol of YLD is used for "give birth", and cited that as
evidence for imperfective wayyiqtol. Could someone else disprove that
by saying that (in this context at least) the wayyiqtol of YLD means
"began to give birth", just as in Numbers 25:1 the wayyiqtol means
"began to dwell" rather than "dwelled". Is there a clear distinction
between the verbs "give birth" and "dwell" in this respect? How can
you explain it clearly? I don't think I am understanding the point you
are making with "+telic".

Even so, there may be a problem e.g. with your sentences 1a, 1b.
Reading a paper is presumably +telic in that it has a defined finish
point. So would a hypothetical Hebrew version of your 1a or 1b using
wayyiqtol for "read" be an uncontroversial example of imperfective
wayyiqtol or not? Or could this be taken as "began to read"? I am
reminded that the Russian imperfective "chitat'" ("to read") has I
think three perfectives,

1) "prochitat'" = "read through to the end"
2) "pochitat'" = "read for a bit"
3) "zachitat'" = "begin to read".

Now you wouldn't use any perfective for your 1a or 1b in Russian, but
a sentence without a conjunction "I began to read (zachital) the
paper, John entered" would have the same meaning although the verb is
perfective and the Aktionsart is at least potentially +telic. Or am I
confused here?

Peter Kirk