b-hebrew - Re: Perfectivity of wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Perfectivity of wayyiqtol
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:19:22 +0200

Dear Peter,

I would not be inclined to see "she had difficulty in giving birth" as coming
after
"she gave birth." We aren't given all the gory details, but a breech birth
often is
in the category of "difficult" birth (especially since the head can get stuck
without
being able to be forced out by the rest of the body as in a normal birth),
and of
course in such cases the midwife could see that the child was a boy before
the birth
was complete. So I think you have to pick between perfective for watteled, or
consecutive for watteqash.

Regards,

John