b-hebrew - Re: Proverbs 25 and "secret things".

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Douglas L Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: jwest AT Highland.Net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Proverbs 25 and "secret things".
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:37:38 -0600

Jim West,

With Mr. Rochman you some time ago entered into an ugly confrontation
which became public on the list. Based on the below-quoted e-mail it
seems you seem intent on being unpleasant once more. If "Tsadowq" did
not use his real name in this mailing, then surely he can be kindly
requested to do so rather than be accused of 'hiding'. I detect nothing
sinister in the tone of his message.

Further, and worse, your tone is demeaning, and what you mistake for a
straightforward answer is nothing more than rude behavior under the guise
of a 'scholarly' direct response. Among the true scholars I've been
priviledged to work with, your manner would get you a one-way ticket out
of the room, and properly so. You ARE direct, but you are not kind.
Kindly cease this unpleasantness. While I am inclined to agree with your
position, I recoil from your behavior. If you'd like an example of the
kind of thing I'd like to see in response to Tsadowq, see Peter Kirk's
response, the tone of which is to my mind most appropriate.

Regards,
Doug

To the listkeepers:
Will Jim West's tone be tolerated? It's quite wearying to those of us, a
strong majority, who wish to read exchanges done with a tone of scholarly
exchange, even when one party thinks the other rather unscholarly.