b-hebrew - Re[2]: Proverbs 25 and "secret things".

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Proverbs 25 and "secret things".
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:52:02 -0400

Dear Jim,

Maybe Armando is correct that Wondell is more at fault than you are
here. But I also think you are not treating him fairly. He made an
honest enquiry about the "Bible codes" and what list members thought
about them. He received several replies, mostly negative, but only
yours was in strong emotive language. He then graciously replied,
"Thanks for your responses and informational links. I had a gut
feeling it was superstition and fanaticism all along. Todah Rabah!" So
he was prepared to learn from the answers he received; this was not a
case where he had made up his own mind in advance. He and Tsadowq may
not yet be as learned as you are, but apparently they genuinely want
to learn. Your intolerance is only going to drive them away from the
mainstream scholarship which they want to learn and into other cranky
theories.

The nature of Internet discussion groups like this one is that they
are open. That means that you have to be prepared to read, or to
ignore, postings which (in your opinion) display gross ignorance etc.
But postings which are personal attacks on others should not be
tolerated, and some of your responses seem to me to be on that
borderline. May I suggest that you would do better to ignore postings
which you consider beneath your academic level, or else to leave this
list and join instead another one which is restricted to genuine
academics.

Peter Kirk