b-hebrew - Re: Secret Codes(2)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Wagers <hyle AT airmail.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Secret Codes(2)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:28:45 -0600

Thanks, Mark. There is quite a lot of information at the site.

However, I notice right off the bat that the web site says:

"A brief summary of the codes claims is that the Hebrew text of the Bible
(especially of the Torah, the first five books) contain intentional
coincidences of
words or phrases that appear as letters with equal spacing."

There is no such claim in the original papers. I agree that the popularizers
and interpreters do need debunking, but the original authors do not fall into
this category.

Further, the site is clearly and admittedly partisan--not a good thing when
evaluating scientific papers. If the papers fail on their scientific
merits, fine--
that's the way Science works. But, Science should neither be created nor
destroyed by the mob, nor by its academic representatives. For example, the
site has a declaration signed by some 50 scientists against the paper. Science
doesn't work by popular vote. If the original authors made errors, they must
be
found and corrected. Nothing else will satisfy me.

Will Wagers hyle AT airmail.net "Reality is the best metaphor."