b-hebrew - die Flucht ins Prasens (was Ruth)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: die Flucht ins Prasens (was Ruth)
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 15:48:28 +0200

Dear Randall,

In addition to the problems in chapter 1 of Habaqquq I submit some
problematic verbs in chapters 2 and 3:

First I will direct your attention to the unit of Habaqquq 3:3-15. Because
of the words "I heard (QATAL) and my belly trembled (WAYYIQTOL)" (v 16), it
seems to me that the deictic point is the prophet's hearing, thus the
setting is past. Several versions use past tense in all the verses. Other
versions use present all through, and this reminds me of the following
words found in W. Gross, 1976, "Verbform und Funktion wayyiqtol fur die
Gegenwart?, p 4: "RUDOLPH formuliert hier mit dankenswerter Deutlichkeit
einen Trick deutscher und vergleichbarer Ubersetzungen: die Flucht ins
Prasens. Da kan ein hebraischer Text die ganze skala verbalen Ausdrucks
nutzen, samtliche Verbformen in unterschiedlichen Stellungen, syndetisch
und asyndetisch aufbieten."

Regardless of the setting that is chosen, the translations tend to use the
same tense in all the verses, and this is evidently a good choice. In the
13 verses ( I do not count v 16) do we find 16 QATALS, 12 YIQTOLS, 1
WEYIQTOL, AND 3 WAYYIQTOLS. All these verbs are evidently used in the same
time setting. Which model or theory can account for the use of all these
different forms in their setting?

Hab. 3:3 God came (YIQTOL) from Teman, the Holy One from Mount Paran.
Selah,His glory covered (QATAL) the heavens and his praise filled
(QATAL) the earth.
Hab. 3:4 His splendor was (YIQTOL) like the sunrise; rays flashed from his
hand, where his power was hidden.
Hab. 3:5 Plague went (YIQTOL) before him; pestilence followed (WEYIQTOL)
his steps.
Hab. 3:6 He stood (QATAL), and shook (WAYYIQTOL) the earth; he looked
(QATAL), and made the nations tremble (WAYYIQTOL). The ancient mountains
crumbled (WAYYIQTOL) and the age-old hills collapsed (QATAL). His ways are
eternal.
Hab. 3:7 I saw (QATAL) the tents of Cushan in distress, the dwellings of
Midian in anguish (YIQTOL).
Hab. 3:8 Were you angry (QATAL) with the rivers, O LORD? Was your wrath
against the streams? Did you rage against the sea when you rode (YIQTOL)
with your horses and your victorious chariots?
Hab. 3:9 You uncovered (YIQTOL) your bow, you called for many arrows.
Selah You split (YIQTOL) the earth with rivers;
Hab. 3:10 the mountains saw you (QATAL) and writhed (YIQTOL). Torrents of
water swept (QATAL) by; the deep roared (QATAL) and lifted (QATAL) its
waves on high.
Hab. 3:11 Sun and moon stood still (QATAL) in the heavens at the glint
(YIQTOL) of your flying arrows, at the lightning of your flashing spear.
Hab. 3:12 In wrath you strode (YIQTOL) through the earth and in anger you
threshed (YIQTOL) the nations.
Hab. 3:13 You came (QATAL) out to deliver your people, to save your
anointed one. You crushed (QATAL) the leader of the land of wickedness, you
stripped him from head to foot. Selah
Hab. 3:14 With his own spear you pierced (QATAL) his head when his warriors
stormed out to scatter us, gloating as though about to devour the wretched
(YIQTOL) who were in hiding.
Hab. 3:15 You trampled (QATAL) the sea with your horses, churning the great
waters.

Hab. 3:16 I heard (QATAL) and my heart pounded (WAYYIQTOL), my lips
quivered (QATAL) at the sound; decay crept (YIQTOL) into my bones, and my
legs trembled (YIQTOL). Yet I will wait patiently (YIQTOL) for the day of
calamity to come on the nation invading (YIQTOL) us.

I ask the same question as above regarding Hab. 2:5:
indeed, wine betrays (PART) him; he is arrogant and never at rest
(YIQTOL). Because he is as greedy (QATAL) as the grave and like death is
never satisfied (YIQTOL) , he gathers (WAYYIQTOL) to himself all the
nations and takes captive (WAYYIQTOL) all the peoples.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf furuli
Lecturer in Semitic languages