b-hebrew - Re: die Flucht ins Prasens (was Ruth)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: die Flucht ins Prasens (was Ruth)
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 22:49:29 +0200

Paul Zellmer wrote:

>Rolf,
>
>I think we on the list have seen a sufficient number of these questions to
>realize
>that you are not really seeking information from any of us, that you have
>an agenda
>underlying your posts. Would you be so kind as to share with us how *you*
>would
>handle these "problematic verbs"? It would be much more honest, and would
>be more
>likely to result in true dialogue. And such dialogue would go much farther
>benefitting all parties involved.
>
>Oh, and since you are asking about specific passages, please deal with
>those passages
>rather than generalities, at least until you get the groundwork laid for
>seeing your
>ideas expressed in the text.
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul
>
>Rolf Furuli wrote:
>
>> Dear Randall,
>>
>> In addition to the problems in chapter 1 of Habaqquq I submit some
>> problematic verbs in chapters 2 and 3:

Dear Paul,

It is not fair to doubt the motives of a fellow list-member, as you do in
your post. I am open for any information that you and others can supply,
which is built on a sound foundation, but you cannot demand that I should
participate in a discussion of the details of a model in which I do not
believe. Because Rodney asked for it, I think that I, in more detail than
anyone else on the list, have shown my views regarding Hebrew verbs. So I
find it very surprising that you accuse me for having a hidden agenda and
that I want to manipulate the list.

The reason for my choice of examples is simple: You and several others
believe that Hebrew has four conjugations which to some extent code for
tense, and this seems to fit quite well with the narrative use of verbs. I
have, in addition to narrative texts, also studied the use of verbs in
*all* the non-narrative texts of the Bible, and because of this my working
hypothesis is that Hebrew has just two conjugations which do not code for
tense but only for aspect.

I do not accept Baconian logic (about confirming examples) as a primary
research tool. So to discuss foreground and background and other
characteristics of verbs based on a four-component model which I see does
not fit non-narrative texts, is meaningless for me. But to discuss models,
and whether or not a particular model can account for the use of verbs in a
particular text, should be meaningful for both of us.
Other list-members may also benefit, because by following such a
discussion, they can better see which explanations are ad hoc, and in
reality are forced explanations, and which are plausible.

I claim that my model can account for the use of all the verbs in Habaqquq,
but because I posed the questions, out of courtesy for others, I would let
them present their material first, and then give my comments. Why don't you
apply your model to my examples, demonstrating how well it fits? My
understanding is that the very purpose of this list is the discussion of
the text of the Hebrew Bible, and I find it strange to be criticized for
doing just that.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli