b-hebrew - Re: die Flucht ins Prasens (was Ruth)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: die Flucht ins Prasens (was Ruth)
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 21:52:21 -0400

Dear Rolf,

Re Habakkuk 3 you assert "All these verbs are evidently used in the
same time setting." But this is far from evident. Some apparently
refer to unique events and others to habitual actions and ongoing
background activities. "I saw" in v.7 is a single event, perfective,
and so X-qatal is not unexpected, but the content of what he saw was
ongoing and imperfective and so yiqtol is expected. The correlation
unique-qatal/wayyiqtol and habitual-yiqtol is not perfect at first
sight, but it is close enough to be a starting point for
interpretation.

Try something like the following adapted translation, though I admit
that some of it may be a little far-fetched.

3 God comes (habitually) (apocopated X-YIQTOL) from Teman,
the Holy One from Mount Paran. Selah,
His glory has (already) covered (QATAL) the heavens
and his praise has filled (X-QATAL) the earth.
4 His splendor is (X-YIQTOL) like the sunrise;
rays flashed from his hand, where his power was hidden.
5 Plague goes (apocopated X-YIQTOL) before him;
pestilence follows (WEYIQTOL) his steps.
6 (On one occasion) he stood (QATAL), and shook (WAYYIQTOL) the earth;
he looked (QATAL), and made the nations tremble (WAYYIQTOL).
The ancient mountains crumbled (WAYYIQTOL)
and the age-old hills collapsed (QATAL).
His ways are eternal.
7 I saw (X-QATAL) (that) the tents of Cushan (were) in distress,
the dwellings of Midian were in anguish (YIQTOL).
8 Were you angry (X-QATAL) with the rivers, O LORD?
Was your wrath against the streams?
Did you rage against the sea
when you were riding (X-YIQTOL) with your horses
and your victorious chariots,
9 (when) You were uncovering (X-YIQTOL) your bow,
calling for many arrows, Selah
splitting (X-YIQTOL) the earth with rivers?
10 The mountains saw you (QATAL) and were writhing (YIQTOL).
Torrents of water swept (X-QATAL) by;
the deep roared (QATAL) and lifted (X-QATAL) its waves on high.
11 Sun and moon stood still (X-QATAL) in the heavens
as your flying arrows were glinting (X-YIQTOL),
at the lightning of your flashing spear.
12 In wrath you were striding (X-YIQTOL) through the earth
and in anger you were threshing (X-YIQTOL) the nations.
13 You came (QATAL) out to deliver your people,
to save your anointed one.
You crushed (QATAL) the leader of the land of wickedness,
you stripped him from head to foot. Selah
14 With his own spear you pierced (QATAL) his head
when his warriors storming (X-YIQTOL) out to scatter us,
gloating as though about to devour the wretched who were in hiding.
15 You trampled (QATAL) the sea with your horses,
churning the great waters.

16 I heard (QATAL) and my heart pounded (WAYYIQTOL),
my lips quivered (QATAL) at the sound.
Let decay creep (apocopated YIQTOL) into my bones,
and let my legs tremble (X-YIQTOL);
yet I will wait patiently (X-YIQTOL) for the day of calamity
to come on the nation which is invading (X-YIQTOL) us.

Is anything like this a possible translation?

Peter Kirk