b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <dalemw AT teleport.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew software
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 23:28:54 -0700

Fri, 07 May 1999 12:30:55 -0400
Peter Kirk wrote:

>This prompts a specific question about search facilities. Many
>products claim "flexible search facilities", but what do they mean?
>What searches can different products do? What searches would be
>desired for inclusion in a product under development?
>
>Let's look at some specific examples of searches relevant to current
>threads. Can anyone name any tool which is able to do the following
>searches:
>
>1. Find every example of the word LO) immediately followed (with
>maqqef OR space) by any verb in the YIQTOL form - i.e. mixed search on
>base word form and grammatical tag with wildcard.
>
>2. Find every example of a verb in the imperative followed by a verb
>in the WEYIQTOL form and 2nd person, where the verbs are not
>immediately conjoined and there may be an intervening verse division
>but there is no other verb in between. (Let me know if your software
>can do even part of this!)
>
>3. Any other searches which anyone has wanted or tried to do but found
>that their software cannot manage?
>
>These are the sorts of searches that we really need to come near to
>settling the sorts of discussions we have been having on this list
>recently, and to advance understanding of Hebrew verb forms and other
>grammatical issues above the word level. So I would be really
>interested to know what is available.

Peter:

What you describe above is TRIVIAL to do with Hebrew GRAMCORD for Windows;
the searches can be constructed in literally seconds with the pull down
menus of the Search Template, which gives the user all of the options of
the current WTS being used in the software. Not only can GRAMCORD do part
of #2, doing the whole thing took me about 15 seconds to
construct...including the exclusion of a verb in the middle of the
construction and the setting of the search range to 2 verses (ie., cross
verse boundaries).

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw AT teleport.com