b-hebrew - Count 50 or 49?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ronald H. Stewart, Sr." <cpaman4 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Count 50 or 49?
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 1:55:14

I would like to have your assistance regarding the interpretation of a
portion of the Hebrew Scriptures. The subject is found in Leviticus
23:15-16.

I have read and heard various arguments about the interpretation of
several
words in these verses and I am not attempting to start any type of debate
on which "group" or "religion" is correct on what day Pentecost/Shavuos
takes place. I am not trying to determine which is the "day of rest" to
start the count.

The point that I am not sure of is the statement that the count should be
inclusive because the term "mi-mohorat" (excuse the transliteration
please)
in verse 15 makes the count "inclusive" at the start of the count which
would make day "one" the day after the "day of rest." Since "mi-mohorat"
is at the end of the count in verse 16 would this not make the last day of
the count inclusive? If this is a correct argument then why is only 49
days counted to arrive at the correct day? The command for the Sabbatical
Year specifies to count 49 years and hallow the 50th. 49 years are "fully
counted" then the Sabbatical Year is hallowed. Why is only 49 days counted
and the 50th day sanctified here? Some translations have verse 16 having
count 50 days "then" offer the offering. Should not the 50th day be over
before the Holy Day starts?

Are there any plain examples in the Tanakh that shows that God does not
fully count or completely reckon the number that He specifies?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Ron Stewart, CPA
1098 Dry Fork Road
Ashland City, TN 37015

  • Count 50 or 49?, Ronald H. Stewart, Sr., 05/09/1999