b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: yahua'sef <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:13:53 -0400

At 02:01 PM 4/30/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't mean to sound rude, but could you please explain what you wrote in
>...layman's terms? I am very interested to know what exactly you found
>here!

er, um, I don't want to appear rude either, or unkind, but you have been
arguing with folk about the etymology of Yahweh and yet you don't have use
of the standard grammar of the language of the Hebrew Bible? If you were
arguing about something familiar to you, it seems to me that you would have
at hand those very basic tools of research.

>> BIYHOWS"P at Psalm 81:6, apparently from a theophoric variant Y:HOWS"P
>> of the regular YOWS"P. (GKC 53q treats this as a variant form of
>> hiphil, but I am not convinced). So we have a similar variation to
>> that we recently discussed between Y:HOW$W.A( and Y"$W.A(, though with
>> a different vowel. So it is at least possible that Y:HOWS"P was
>> original and YOWS"P a contraction of it. In fact the original might
>> have been Y:HOWYOS"P (as in the explanation in Genesis 30:23), by
>> analogy with Y:HOWYFKIYN, another theophoric name with a hiphil
>> jussive, or perhaps Y:HOWHOSIYP, by analogy with other Yeho- names
>> which are mostly followed by a "perfect" form - both of these forms
>> would naturally be shortened to Y:HOWS"P and then further to YOWS"P.
>>
>> Peter Kirk

Peter here is addressing Jack's earlier comment about theophoric (divine)
elements in names found in the Hebrew Bible. i.e., Joseph. Peter has found
evidence that suggests that Joseph may indeed be a theophoric.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest