b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG wrote:
> Sorry, I'm afraid you just can't do this with Hebrew words any more
> than with English ones. For example (off the top of my head), "father"
> does not mean "fat" + "her" - it did not originally mean a pregnant
> woman! Your Hebrew examples seem to me just as far-fetched, especially

Is everyone really that cynical? Take a look at some of the
prophets(Nevi'um) or angels and their names:

DaniEL (or DanaUL), ZecharYahu, Zef'nYahu, YechezekEL, YermiYahu,
YeshaYahu (Isaiah), Jo'El, Eli'Yahu, Yahu'shua,Mika'El, Rapha'El, Uri'El
Samu'El, etc.etc. Do you mean to tell me that seperating these names into
individual parts and name of God included in their name - would render NO
MEANING at all? Of course they all mean something!

Yahu'shua = YAHU is salvation
Dani'el = God is my judge
Joel = YAHU is God
Samu'EL = His name is YAHU

So why would YAHU(YHWH) be any different? Can you offer any explanation
besides one that is completely centered around linguistics and proper
Hebrew grammar? Why are my conclusions about YHWH discounted by everyone
will openly admit that the names for some of these prophets, acorind got
Blue Letter Bible, ALL BEAR some meaning when broken down into their
individual parts?

Shalom Alaekhem