b-hebrew - Re: Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: mjoseph <mjoseph AT terminal.cz>
  • To: "b-Hebrew Digest" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 99 20:26:14 +0100

Kirk Lowery wrote:

>The discussion of Jehovah's Witnesses and their theological views isn't
>germane
>to our list, as Greg Stafford noted. Let's keep the discussion to how YHWH
>was pronounced, understood, etc., and leave off discussing denominational
>motivations and distinctives, shall we?

With all due respect, I must disagree with Kirk's presentation. The
question being discussed was, indeed, "how YHWH was pronounced,
understood, etc." At one point, when it appeared that someone had been
seriously led astray, someone simply asked if any of the material he had
been reading was from the Jehovah's Witnesses, a legitimate question
given the JW's predilection for insisting on one particular pronunciation
of the Divine name. Analysis of source material is always germane to
scholarly discussion. As to the material point, anyone who denies that
JWs insist that (in English) Je-ho-vah is the only correct pronunciation
of the Tetragrammaton has never spoken with a JW.

Mark Joseph (my real name ;-)