b-hebrew - Re[4]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:02:27 -0400

Dear Wondell (thank you for giving us a name!),

I am sorry to sound cynical. I was wondering how to reply, but found
that George had said most of what I would like to say. Within Hebrew
grammar, we can say that the compound names you give below are true
compounds, but it seems unlikely that YHWH is a grammatical compound.
Within the realm of religious belief, you may well want to divide this
name in various ways. But this list is not a forum for discussing such
ideas, but for looking at the Hebrew language. I hope you will be able
to learn more Hebrew yourself so that you can appreciate better the
arguments used here and distinguish them clearly from the more
esoteric ones in some of your postings.

Peter Kirk