b-hebrew - Bible Translations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Bible Translations
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 05:52:03 EST

Traditionally, translations have been categorized as either "Jewish"
(JPS, JPS1917, ZUNZ) or "Christian" (KJV, RSV, NIV, etc.). Among the
"Christian" translations, of course, one can make further subdivisions.

At first I was shocked when this list began discussing the NWT, because
it is known to be quite driven by certain theological assumptions (true,
no translation is free of such things, but NWT in particular does have
some strong bias).

But as I thought about it some more, I thought that perhaps the NWT does
have this advantage: that it can be classified as neither "Christian" nor
"Jewish", and so, especially for this mailing list which includes both
Christians and Jews (as well as a few folks who may be neither!), the NWT
may well make interesting discussion.

Are there any other translations which can be classified as NEITHER
"Christian" NOR "Jewish"? I know that a few academics have produced
partial or whole translations - these are usually printed by academic
presses and are not in wide circulation.

- Andy Smith

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]