b-hebrew - Re: Bible Translations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: a.c.smith AT juno.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Bible Translations
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:01:24 EST

In a message dated 3/12/99 2:56:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
a.c.smith AT juno.com writes:

<< At first I was shocked when this list began discussing the NWT, because
it is known to be quite driven by certain theological assumptions (true,
no translation is free of such things, but NWT in particular does have
some strong bias).

Dear Andrew,

It's hard for me to respond to sweeping generalizations about bias in the
NWT, and about who thinks what translation is "Christian" or not.

Are there specific instances where you feel that the NWT inaccurately
translates the Hebrew due to theological bias? Discussing these instances
would probably be more productive than attacking or defending a particular
translation in general, and certainly more relevant to B-Hebrew.

Greg Stafford