b-hebrew - Re: Bible translations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Bible translations
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:09:39 -0500

Interesting to hear about these deliberately literal translations.

Can I ask one question about how literal they really are? I have a
test for those who insist on literal translations. How do their
translations render )EREK )APPAYIM in Exodus 34:6 etc? Do they say
that YHWH has a long nose, "length of nostrils" or something like
that? I have never heard of an English translation which does so and
so is truly and consistently literal.

Peter Kirk