b-hebrew - Re[4]: wayyiqtol vs. English

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: wayyiqtol vs. English
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 11:27:59 -0500

I am not suggesting quite as much change as with English. But a lot of
the change in English has been diversification. Formal written British
English is not that different from a century ago, except of course for
new words introduced for new concepts. The use of verb forms has
changed very little. No educated English speaker would have real
trouble understanding a text from 100 years ago. Many languages have
changed far more, e.g. Turkish from a century ago is almost
incomprehensible to modern Turks.

As for changes in Hebrew, we would not I think expect to see the full
extent of such changes in the Bible which (especially in the later
books) is formalised writing. For example, we can compare parallel
passages in Kings (late pre-exilic?) and Chronicles (post-exilic) and
find some changes in verb forms, syntax and vocabulary. I would
suggest that the Chronicler made changes only where he felt obliged to
because the Kings usage was clearly obsolete, rather than making a
full revision into the modern style. Even the fresh post-exilic
compositions in "late Biblical Hebrew" were very likely written (to
varying extents) in a formalised and archaising "Biblical" style.
Another issue is that we don't know how much if at all earlier books
were themselves edited to match later style. Indeed, we can't be sure
about any of the dating issues unless we can provide convincing
answers to those who argue for Hellenistic composition etc. So the
argument that there was little difference between pre-exilic and
post-exilic Hebrew is rather shaky.

It was no doubt this continuing written tradition which allowed Hebrew
to survive, even until today, with comparatively little change. The
written tradition of English literature, such as the great 19th
century novels as well as Shakespeare, helps to anchor English and
keep its changes under control, though who knows whether the anchor
will hold throughout the English-speaking world, or will English
disintegrate as Latin did in the "dark ages" into regional languages
and a separate dying literary language?

Peter