b-hebrew - Contemporary Jewish Tanakh Readings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Contemporary Jewish Tanakh Readings
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:43:43 -0800

Gday B-Haverim,

Pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering if someone could inform me of
contemporary Jewish practice regarding daily/weekly readings from the
Tanakh. Specifically, I would like to know how the psalms are read. Are they
assigned each day/week to accompany the Torah readings? Are all the psalms
used in this way, or a selection? Are they read in order?

I am taking a course currently on the Psalms. In this we examined a few
contemporary Christian lectionaries and hymnals to see what percentage of
the lament psalms were included. The results were not very encouraging,
ranging from about 10 to 32%. Someone asked about Jewish practices, but no
one was certain. So I thought I would ask the list.

With regards,
Matthew Anstey