b-hebrew - wayyiqtol vs. English

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Galia Hatav <ghatav AT aall.ufl.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: wayyiqtol vs. English
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:55:00 +0100

Moon-RyulJung wrote:
Until I see a strong evidence for Galia's assumption that wayyiqtol
is different from English simple past (minus stative verbs)...

Most of the examples I gave to show that the simple past in English
does not necessarily build a new R-time were, indeed, stative clauses.
However, recall that I showed that in certain contexts the second clause in
(1) below may be understood NOT to move the time forward, although it is
eventive. But consider also (2) with two different agents:

1. Mary entered the room. She turned the light on...
2. (Yesteraday) John finished his article and Mary started her book.

Galia