b-hebrew - Re: Historiography and Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Historiography and Peter
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:11:34 +0200

Let me point out that in all this discussion, Ian has ignored my
twice-repeated
comment that in the Ancient Near East the king could assume the functions of
priest.
I didn't invent this; it's documented; and I've written on it regarding the
Ugaritic
mythological texts.
In similar fashion, Julius Wellhausen, in his zeal to demonstrate that the
sacrificial
cult in Judaism was late and a deviation from the pristine Israelite religion
(and
therefore, as a 19th-century German Protestant theologian, to demonstrate the
Catholic
cult and ritual were late and a deviation from the original and pure
Christianity),
ignored the already-known evidence from the ANE that the pomp and
circumstance of the
temple cultus were quite ancient, and that the Israelites didn't have to
invent it.
It wasn't until some 50 years later that Yehezkel Kaufmann, in his Religion
of Israel,
demonstrated the fallacy of Wellhausen's arguments, and persuaded many
scholars that
at least the description of hte cult ion the Priestly Code could be early.
Are we going to have to wait another 50 years until someone demonstrates the
fallacies
in the arguments of the Copenhagen School?
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College