b-hebrew - Re: Historiography and Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Historiography and Peter
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:45:23 +0200

All might want to take note of 1 Cor 8:4 Therefore concerning the eating of
things
sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in
the world, and that there is no God but one.

Also 1 Cor 10:19 What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is
anything, or
that an idol is anything?

But then the next verse: "the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they
sacrifice to
demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons."

I.e. they are "nothing" w.r.t. what they say they are, but they are
definitely real,
supernatural entities. The OT says the same thing (e.g. Deut 32:39 "there is
no god
besides me" but 32:17 refers to the demons that idolators sacrificed to) - so
neither NT
or OT is "monotheistic" if you're going to define it as belief in only one
supernatural
being. What's the point?

John