b-hebrew - SV: Historiography and Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Historiography and Peter
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:13:29 +0100

In biblical scholarship, fallacies are not so important as the person who
does not share them often thinks. We have precious little more to work with
than our limited perspectives and insights. A nineteenth century scholar's
tendency to reflect his contemporaries is hardly a factor which should
diminish him in our eyes. Wellhausen is a profoundly exciting scholar and I
learn from him howevermuch I disagree with him. If I read only those with
whom I agreed, what would I learn?
Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas L. Thompson
Professor, Universty of Copenhagen

> Jonathan D. Safren wrote:
> >Are we going to have to wait another 50 years until someone demonstrates
> >the fallacies in the arguments of the Copenhagen School?
and Mark Joseph added: