b-hebrew - Re: SV: Historiography and Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SV: Historiography and Peter
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:47:34 +0200

"Thomas L. Thompson" wrote:

> In biblical scholarship, fallacies are not so important as the person who
> does not share them often thinks. We have precious little more to work with
> than our limited perspectives and insights. A nineteenth century scholar's
> tendency to reflect his contemporaries is hardly a factor which should
> diminish him in our eyes. Wellhausen is a profoundly exciting scholar and I
> learn from him howevermuch I disagree with him. If I read only those with
> whom I agreed, what would I learn?
> Sincerely,
> Thomas

Who am I to gainsay that Wellhausen made an important contribution to biblical
scholarship? However, his prejudices as a 19th century German Protestant
theologian
did obstruct his vision regarding the possible early nature of the cultus
depicted in
the Priestly source. He ignored the ANE evidence that was already known in
his time,
an misled two generations of biblical scholars.
In like manner, Kaufmann, a 20th century Israeli, ignored the biblical
evidence for
the post-Mosaic appearance of monotheism.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College