b-hebrew - Re: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:04:45 +0200

Peter Kirk wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> . . . .
> But I must disagree with your: "the view that wayyiqtol is
> unmarked for sequence explains 100% of the data!". On the > contrary, it
> explains nothing at all!

Dear Peter,

What exactly is it that requires explanation? Why does
sequence even have to be considered in a discussion of
wayyiqtol except because it is a 100 + year old tradition?

> Would you accept Dave's "I forgot my checkbook" example in
> South Africa too? What is the English language coming to? ;-(

What I liked about Dave's example is that it struck me as
good Hebrew, not good English (though his amended version
was OK in English, as far as I know, but then like Paul my
background is engineering, not English composition).

Yours,

John