b-hebrew - Re: WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: WP
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 07:48:47 -0700

Paul wrote:
> Dave Washburn wrote:
>
> > I would like to make this comment about discourse level as over
> > against clause level: it seems to me that discourse level study
> > must have as its basis a sound view of the clause level. Truthfully,
> > in the discourse studies that I have read (admittedly few) I have not
> > seen this; rather, they seem to try and construct a clause-level
> > system as they go through discourse. This strikes me as a "cart-
> > before-the-horse" approach, though certainly well-intentioned.
> > Again let me emphasize that this is simply how it looks to me at
> > this point in my understanding of discourse analysis.
> > Comments/corrections? I know I'm sticking my neck out here, and
> > would like to emphasize that I'm here to learn, not offend or attack...
> > [helmet on again]
>
> Dave,
>
> I've plugged this before, but I would strongly suggest you look at the
> beginning
> grammar that Bryan pulled together, written from a discourse analysis
> viewpoint.
> Admittedly, it *is* a beginning grammar, which means there is a lot of very
> basic
> material (aleph-beth, conjugations, etc.). But Bryan has done an admirable
> job
> reducing the discourse analysis model for biblical Hebrew into a form easily
> comprehended. It is simplified to some degree (one does not want to
> discourage
> beginning students!), so it does not address all the tough issues. But
> through it, I
> feel sure you will see that discourse analysis does indeed take into
> consideration
> clause-level analysis.

I have it, and was prepared to use it for some Hebrew classes here.
I understand that discourse does take clause-level into
consideration, that's not my point. My point is that the discourse
approaches I've seen tend to assume certain things about the
clause level that aren't necessarily established, or that at least
need to be questioned. The basic question I'm asking is, which
should come first? Can discourse analysis provide a truly unified
syntax (and an autonomous syntax) of the clause level? If so I'd
like to see it presented as a prologue to discourse analysis. If not,
how does it establish a clause-level basis from which to proceed
(or does it feel the need to)? What approach is used to set up the
clause-level syntax? To me as a clause-level grammarian, it's a
little like starting a mystery novel in the middle.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur