b-hebrew - Re: WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: WP
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:15:03 +0800

Dave Washburn wrote:

> I would like to make this comment about discourse level as over
> against clause level: it seems to me that discourse level study
> must have as its basis a sound view of the clause level. Truthfully,
> in the discourse studies that I have read (admittedly few) I have not
> seen this; rather, they seem to try and construct a clause-level
> system as they go through discourse. This strikes me as a "cart-
> before-the-horse" approach, though certainly well-intentioned.
> Again let me emphasize that this is simply how it looks to me at
> this point in my understanding of discourse analysis.
> Comments/corrections? I know I'm sticking my neck out here, and
> would like to emphasize that I'm here to learn, not offend or attack...
> [helmet on again]

Dave,

I've plugged this before, but I would strongly suggest you look at the
beginning
grammar that Bryan pulled together, written from a discourse analysis
viewpoint.
Admittedly, it *is* a beginning grammar, which means there is a lot of very
basic
material (aleph-beth, conjugations, etc.). But Bryan has done an admirable
job
reducing the discourse analysis model for biblical Hebrew into a form easily
comprehended. It is simplified to some degree (one does not want to
discourage
beginning students!), so it does not address all the tough issues. But
through it, I
feel sure you will see that discourse analysis does indeed take into
consideration
clause-level analysis.

He includes several readings from the Tanakh that shows the interplay of
clauses
within the various genres, and the interplay of genres within dialogues. I
have found
that the discourse analysis sections have been extremely understandable to
even to
students whose native language is not English. In fact, I would dearly love
to find a
similar text to use as a beginning *Greek* grammar.

Bryan, have you ever thought to put together a description of your discourse
analysis
presentation without the beginning Hebrew items?

HTH,

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines